About our Residency
The dates for NHMI's CAATE-Accredited Integrated Clinical Sports Medicine Residency for 2017-2018 are July 24, 2017-July 13, 2018. The Residency is an opportunity for certified athletic trainers (Click Here for eligibility requirements & stipend package) to learn more in one year than they could hope to see in a career. Rotations with physicians and allied health professionals, research experience, and hands-on athletic training experience combine to improve the Residents' fundamental knowledge of human anatomy and physiology, understanding of medical care for various conditions and their ability to interact with physicians. In addition, Residents attend several dissection workshops, our Annual Symposium and our Orthopedic Winter Meeting, two special continuing education events.
At our Annual Symposium each fall, Residents participate in a cadaver dissection and anatomy review session, then attend a full day conference hearing experts relate the latest on topics of interest to sports medicine and rehabilitation professionals. The Winter Meeting gives the Residents a weekend resort experience complete with orthopedic continuing medical education, skiing and socializing with orthopedic surgeons. Click Here to see a description of a Resident's typical day.
It is the mission of this program to cultivate exemplary healthcare professionals by:
- Refining and diversifying clinical ability to detect and manage injuries, illnesses and conditions
- Improving understanding and competency in areas that epitomize exemplary health care practice
- Fostering confident professional networking through daily interaction with physicians and allied health care providers
- Imparting knowledge of, and respect for, scientific research and evidence-based medicine
- Engaging in applied research opportunities
- Cultivating autonomous critical thinking habits
The Residency includes a monthly stipend and housing in Manchester, New Hampshire home to the ECHL Manchester Monarchs - the LA Kings affiliate, and the minor league (AAA) Toronto Blue Jays affiliate NH Fisher Cats along with a multitude of restaurants and other activities. Manchester is close to everything -- 1 hour from Boston, Portsmouth and the New Hampshire/Maine seacoast, the beautiful lakes region and White Mountain National Forest.